Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Gran Turismo 5 rant






I have to say that while I still play GT5 alot, there have been alot of let downs. Maybe I'm just annoyed because it took centuries in development and the final product was not polished or maybe because I set my hopes too high? I'm gonna try and list all my annoyances and pet peeves with this game, pretty much everything that has been bugging me.

I'll start with one of the biggest things that annoys me with the game so much and that is Polyphony's huge bias towards the NSX, Skyline, and RX-7. Okay, Polyphony we get it, we know you must love Nissan so much if you're going to choose to throw in tons of Skylines. I havent counted yet, there are probably 15-20 different Skyline versions. They should of just spent that time on putting in a wider variety of premium cars instead of the same damn car over and over again.

I might as well just list it out, typing it will take too long lol. Here is my general list of random complaints:

-6 years of development time with countless delays and we get an unfinished game (see below)
-Premium and standard car categorizations as horrible. Some premium cars look great on the inside and outside, then you have the ones with the half-assed, blurry interior view. PD should have just abandoned making a caertain car premium if they were gonna half-ass it. Whats the use of displaying the gauges if you can't see shit? (if you dont already know, standard cars do not have a cockpit view, out of the 1000+ cars, 800 are standard)
-Some standard cars are direct ports from the PS2, no effort to even brush up a little on the graphics
-No premium MKIV Toyota Supra. Seriously PD? Is Kaz's head so far up Nissan's ass that he doesn't even have the decency to make one of the most iconic and advanced car of the 1990's a premium car? Show the damn car some love and atleast give it a cockpit view.
-Premium car selection. There are so many horrible premium cars that just make me go 'wtf?'. A premium Toyota Prius? Who the hell wants to race a freakin economy car? Kinda ironic dont you think?
-Lack of events. 6 categories with 9 sub-categories of events, some which require you to buy a car just for one race.
-Lack of freedom for car modifications. It would be great if we could be given a choice in GT6 on what we want to customize. Things such as

  • Wastegates(internal or external)
  • Turbo size (by mm, with the ability to be able to swap hotsides for more power/better spool)
  • Blow off valves, whether atmospheric or recirculated
  • Intercoolers (air-to-water or air-to-air)
  • Stroker kits
  • Camshafts (adjustable lift/duration)
  • Nitrous (direct port, dry or wet)
  • Lightened pistons/valvetrain for higher revving
  • Compression ratios
  • Anti-lag and 2-step, with the ability to adjust agressiveness. Of course the trade off would be reduced life of the turbocharger or valvetrain
  • Boost controller
  • Option for a dry sump oil system
  • Brakes! Such a shame I dont see it in GT5, lol @ dumping hundreds of thousands into a car without modifying the brakes
  • Big brake kit
  • Type of brake pads
  • Brake rotors
  • Brake lines
  • 4-pot or 6-pot calipers
  • Option to remove unnecessary crap on the car to save weight, such as the AC
  • Roll cages
  • Individual, custom gear ratios
  • Rear differential ratios
  • More carbon fiber! Im sure doors can be made into CF too, great way to save weight
  • More exhaust options, maybe I dont want one at all to save weight :s
  • Delete catalytic converter (just adds weight)
  • For naturally aspirated cars: long/short tube headers
  • Forced induction cars: log-style manifolds or tube manifolds
  • Option for lighter engine blocks/components (titanium valves, beryllium valve seats, billet block, etc)
  • Option of whether I want to turbocharge or supercharge anything. This is possible in real life, why not in the game? Hell, they can throw in variable vane turbochargers, twin-charging, and compound turbocharging too while their at it. 
  • Custom Livery
That's it for now. I'm tired, off to bed. I'll post more tomorrow, I guess this post was more of a wish list than a rant.

4 comments:

  1. I bought a ps3 thinking i would be able to play this...3 years later, i sold my ps3 before the game came out... feels ok man..

    ReplyDelete